Welcome News & Alerts Calendar Recent Newsletter NextDoor info HOA History Public Schools Local Links Codes Sponsors Classifieds e-mail me


gen_174.1.gif


 


Father and son team, Sam and Robert Coleman, started development of Meadow Lake in 1965. The approximately 200 acres were bought from Arthur J. Dyer who was president of the Nashville Bridge Company and namesake for Vanderbilt's Dyer Observatory at 1000 Oman Drive in Brentwood.  Williamsburg Estates was developed several years later by Ken Stanfill on property bought from Nashville real-estate broker Jack Dennis.
  At that time, additional acreage was sold to the H.G. Hill Company to build a shopping center.



 



Boxwood Hall.JPG Boxwood Hall

This historic home is situated at the westernmost corner of Seward Rd and Meadowlake Road.

The property for Boxwood Hall was originally part of the McGavock land that now includes the Brentwood Country Club.  The land was given to Emily, the daughter of Lysander and Elizabeth McGavock, upon her marriage to Oliver Bliss Hayes, Jr.  Their first home was destroyed by fire while they honeymooned in Europe.  When they returned, they built a single storey home in its place. 

Their daughter, Elizabeth Hayes, expanded the house in the early 1900s with her husband, Dr. W. W. Martin, who was a Methodist Minister and later Professor of Hebrew at Vanderbilt University.   They also added the stone exterior at that time.  The stones came from a quarry located where the Brentwood Baptist Church now sits.

In 1935, the Dyer family bought the property.  They, too, added on to the house and built the 8 acre lake. At one time, Dyer lake provided water to the neighborhood.

The information for this article is from T. Vance Little's book "When Cotton Was King on Concord Road - A History of Brentwood Subdivisions."



interurbanrr.JPG The Franklin-Nashville Interurban Railroad

Ground breaking for the Interurban railroad occurred in May 1907.  It was a locally run and financed enterprise with the purpose of improving transportation between Nashville and Franklin to the aim of aiding Franklin's growth.  The right-of-way was a strip fifty feet wide on both sides of Franklin Pike, but it did not run parallel with the pike all the way.  Rather, it recrossed it as necessary to dodge the hills and avoid grading.

The railroad was electric with overhead wires and the coaches changed appearances during its run.  Passengers were picked up and let off anywhere along the line.  A bystander only had to raise their hand to give the signal to the engineer that
they wanted a ride.

At its height in the 1920's, the line carried 30,000 passengers per month.  After the paving of Franklin Pike, the ridership dropped to 20,000 per month.  The Interurban's demise was soon after the 1941 introduction of bus service along the Pike.  The rails were taken up during WWII so the metal could go to the war effort. 

This stop is located 2 blocks inside the Meadow Lake entry on the right.

Information was condensed from an article by Bobbie Sue Shelton-Lonas.  You may read much more about this topic as well as other local histories by Bobbie Sue Shelton-Lonas in the online archives of the Eagleville Gazette.



stone box sign.jpg Stone Box Indian Site

This historic marker is located in front of Boxwood Hall near the 2nd corner of Meadow Lake and Seward Roads.


Construction in 1965 and 1966 revealed significant Mississippian Period Native American remains.  Development was temporarily halted so that archaeologists with the Southeastern Indians Antiquities Survey, Inc., of Nashville could study the area.  They found evidence of 17 round structures, each about 20 feet in diameter which were presumed to be houses.  Also found were over 150 stone-lined grave sites.  

These natives were active in middle Tennessee from about 1000 CE to 1475 CE and also had settlements at the site of the Brentwood Library and Boiling Springs Academy.  It is not known why they eventually abandoned the area.

In archaeological circles, the excavated area within Meadow Lake is known as the Arnold Site after Eddy Arnold, onetime owner of the Iroquois property.  When building resumed, sites for streets and houses had to be relocated as not to interfere with the remains.

Much of the information for this article is from T. Vance Little's book "When Cotton Was King On Concord Road - A History of Brentwood Subdivisions" and The US Department of the Interior's August 3 2010 "Notice of Inventory Completion."



BELOW:  An article from the Nashville Banner about the September 8 1996 dedication of the Stone Box Indian Graves historic marker.

   

gen_173.1.gif